Makes about 24 cookies
Note: You can substitute a can of
whole-berry cranberry sauce for the filling, if you don’t want to make
your own. Just give the canned cranberry sauce a couple pulses in a
food processor to break up the cranberries some.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup (3 ½ ounces) sugar
2 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
1 cup water
2 ¼ teaspoons finely grated orange peel
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
¼ cup (1 ¾ ounces) sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 12 pieces
1. To make the cranberry filling, bring all the ingredients to a boil in a heavy medium-size saucepan,
stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of the cranberries burst, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill until set. (The filling is best made a day ahead.)
2. To prepare the lemon cookie crust, preheat the oven to 350°F, then lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well blended. Beat in the egg yolks, lemon peel, lemon juice, and salt. Add the flour in two additions and beat just until moist clumps form. Gather the dough together in the bowl to bind the dough.
3. Place the dough onto the bottom of the baking dish and, using your fingers, spread out the dough to evenly cover the bottom of the dish.
4. To make the crumb topping, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a medium-size bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to work it into the flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs. Set aside.
5. Spread the chilled cranberry filling onto the cookie layer. Place the dish into the oven and bake until golden brown on the bottom, about 30-35 minutes. About 20 minutes into the baking time, remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the cranberry filling. Return the dish to the oven and finish baking. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting and serving.