Makes 24 bar cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 ½ cups (10 ½ ounces) sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
2 tablespoons Kahlua or other coffee-flavored liqueur
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, or coat with
pan spray. In a 3-quart saucepan, over very low heat, melt the butter
and chocolate, stirring frequently.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until well blended after each addition.
4. In a small bowl, dissolve the instant espresso powder in the Kahlua.
5. Add the flour, salt, vanilla, and espresso-Kahlua mixture and stir well.
6. Add the chocolate chips to the mixture and stir until well blended.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Cool the pan on a wire rack. With a sharp knife, cut the brownies into pieces.