Makes 4 first-course servings
1 pound large (16-20) shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
1 ½ tablespoons tequila
¼ teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
1. Soak five wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the olive oil, lime juice, tequila, and spices. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, or in the refrigerator for an hour.
3. Preheat grill to medium heat.
4. Thread four shrimp onto a skewer and place on a sheet pan while you thread the remaining shrimp.
Place the skewers on the grill and cook until the shrimp are pink and
opaque, about 1 ½ to 2 minutes per side. Remove from the grill.
6. Into four martini (or comparable cocktail) glasses, place some cilantro (or other greens of your choosing) and top with a heaping spoonful of salsa. Then, remove the shrimp from the skewers and arrange around the rim of the glass. Alternatively, you can leave the shrimp on the skewers and serve them on a bed of cilantro on a platter, and serve the salsa in a dish on the side.