Yield: 4 to 6 servings
12 uncooked corn tortillas
2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies [SS: I always drain my chilies]
2 to 3 cups grated jack cheese
A few dashes each of salt and pepper
4 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1 to 2 cups cooked pinto beans [SS: cooked or canned black beans also work well]
½ pound firm tofu, cut in thin slices
Small touches of cumin, basil, and/or oregano
1 cup chopped onion, sautéed until soft in 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced and lightly sautéed in butter or olive oil
1 small zucchini, sliced or cubed, and lightly sautéed in butter or olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Butter or oil a 2-quart casserole or a 9 x 13-inch pan.
2. Tear 6 tortillas into bite-sized pieces and spread them evenly in the greased casserole.
3. Distribute half the chilies and half the cheese over the layer of tortillas. (At this point, spread, sprinkle, or place any optional additions on top of the cheese.)
4. Tear the remaining tortillas and spread them on top. Follow with the remaining chilies and cheese.
5. Beat the eggs and buttermilk together with the salt and pepper. Slowly pour this custard over the casserole.
6. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
from Mollie Katzen’s Still Life with Menu cookbook